The best female tennis player that India has ever produced is Sania Mirza, without a doubt. Throughout her remarkable career, which spanned from 2003 to 2023, Sania Mirza a six-time Grand Slam champion, a four-time Olympian, and a former world No. 1 in doubles scratched new heights for Indian tennis.
Sania Mirza Biography
Naia Mirza is an Indian tennis professional player who was born in Mumbai in 1986. She achieved six Grand Slam titles and was once ranked #1 in the world in doubles.
Being the highest-paid and most prominent athlete in India, Mirza is the country’s most successful female tennis player ever. She is the highest-ranked Indian tennis player in history and has won multiple firsts in the women’s division.
She is one of just two Indian women to have won a WTA Tour championship and been ranked in the top 100 singles. She retired in 2023.
- Sumit Nagal Biography
- Shraddha Joshi Sharma IRS Biography
- Manoj Kumar Sharma
- Maldives President Biography
- Taiwan President Biography
- Madison Marsh Biography
- Miss America 2024 Winner
- Millie Bobby Brown Biography
Sania Mirza Early Life & Education
Sania Mirza was born in Mumbai on November 15, 1986, to Imran Mirza, a journalist who covered sports from Hyderabad, and his spouse Naseema, a printing company employee.
Her family relocated to Hyderabad soon after her birth, where she was nurtured in a devout Sunni Muslim household alongside her younger sister Anam.
She went to Hyderabad’s Nasr School. Later, she received her degree from Hyderabad’s St. Mary’s College. On December 11, 2008, Mirza was also awarded an honorary Doctor of degree by the Dr. M.G.R. Educational and Research Institute in Chennai.
Sania Mirza Career
Mirza started playing tennis at six, and in 2003, she became a professional. Her father was her trainer. As a junior player, Mirza took home ten singles and thirteen doubles championships.
She advanced to the quarterfinals of the 2002 US Open girls’ doubles and the semifinals of the 2003 US Open girls’ doubles, both with Sanaa Bhambri. When Mirza made her debut on the ITF Circuit in April 2001 at the age of 15, she began to demonstrate early success on the senior circuit.
Her performances in the quarterfinals in Pune and the semifinals in New Delhi in 2001 are her highlights. Indian tennis player Sania Mirza, then 16 years old, won three trophies in a row in 2002, including a gold medal in the Indian National Games.
She won a bronze medal from the Asian Games and competed for India in the Fed Cup. Mirza emerged as the inaugural Indian female champion on the WTA Tour.
Sania Mirza Retirement
Mirza stated at the end of 2018 that she intended to rejoin the professional tennis circuit in time for the Summer Olympics in 2020.
In January 2020, she rejoined the tour at the Hobart International after spending almost two years away from the professional circuit and celebrating her son’s first birthday.
Mirza made her retirement known on January 7, 2023, following her final competition in February at the Dubai Championships.
She began the season with Anna Danilina, but at the Australian Open and Adelaide International, she was defeated by the top seeds. In mixed doubles, Mirza and Rohan Bopanna made it to the final in Dubai.
Sania Mirza Awards & Achievements
Details about the Sania Mirza Awards & Achievements are available below.
- She peaked at world No. 27 in the middle of 2007, making her the highest-ranked Indian female player ever.
- Mirza has won 14 medals in total, six of which are gold, from three significant multi-sport competitions: the Asian, Commonwealth, and Afro-Asian Games.
- In 2004, Sania Mirza received the Arjuna Award.
- She was awarded the Padma Shri in 2006 and WTA Newcomer of the Year in 2005.
- In 2015, she was awarded the Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna.
- In 2015, she made the BBC’s list of 100 remarkable women, and in 2016, she received the Padma Bhushan.
- In 2016, she was named NRI of the Year.
- She was named the 2023 Super Glam Sports Star of the Year at the Pinkvilla Style Icons Awards.
- Time recognized Mirza as one of the “50 Heroes of Asia” in October 2005.
- The Telangana government designated Mirza as the state’s brand ambassador in 2014.
- Sania Mirza received congratulations from Chandrashekhar Rao on receiving the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award
- Mirza was the world No. 1 for 91 weeks and won 43 trophies in doubles in 2005.
Sania Mirza Net Worth
Sania Mirza has an astounding $26 million in net worth. In Indian currency, this is equivalent to about Rs. 210 crore, demonstrating her considerable economic achievement as a tennis player.
She has expensive cars like Mercedes Benz, Audi, BMW, and Range Rover, valued at approximately Rs. 3 crore, in addition to an opulent 13 crore mansion in Hyderabad.
Visit Bscnursing Homepage To Get Relevant Content.